Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Potty Training Success

Last night my son finally pooed on the potty!!!!!! I feel like he's been potty training since he was two, but he finally did it!!!!!! We were beyond excited. He told me he had to go and I took him there and he actually went! Then, we had to show Daddy! We had promised Little Man that we would buy the Toy Story movies for him when he learned to poo on the potty. So, Jason asked him if he remembered what we had promised him and he said, "TOY STORY! Can we go get it now?" Of course, we hopped in the car and went to WalMart to buy the movies. When we got home we had to watch one and he took them both to Nanny's house today. I hope this wasn't a fluke thing and that this is actually progress, but I'm trying to figure out what the catalyst was in his final decision to use the potty for pooing... I'm sure it wasn't the promise of Toy Story because there would have been quicker results. I'm starting to think that it had something to do with the fact that we finally started punishing him when he went in his skivvies. I read somewhere once that littles ones have to learn that the behavior is wrong before they will change it. They find it very normal to potty in their diapers because they have known nothing else...no other option. Therefore, they have to be taught that their prior behavior isn't right and then decide to do something about it. As I am typing this, I am being reminded that isn't much different than adult behavior. Do you think God allows consequences of our wrong behavior to be evident in our lives so that we will make a decision to change those behaviors? We love our children. Because of that love, we have to allow consequences and enforce discipline so that they will make right choices. We don't like it and it sometimes hurts us, but it is our responsibility to encourage change for the better in our children. God feels that way about us, too. We are His children and He longs for us to pay attention to the consequences of our decisions so that we will make right choices. He wants us to be aware that there are other options than what we have always known. Are there consequences you are currently facing that are causing you to consider a change for the better? I'm sure I have some behaviors that need changing...God, help me to pay attention...and take action...

No comments: